Friday, January 29, 2016

Hansel and Gretel Part 2.0

Hello everyone!

First off, I want to apologize for taking so long to get this posted.  Things have been a little hectic around here with a new job in the mix for me - which is very exciting, but it does give me less time to devote to my blogs.  However, I've got some ideas that will help me get better at time management so I can keep up with the blogs and the new job!

Secondly, I apologize for not having a completed work this week!  So this will be a shorter post, as I am only about 1/3 of the way through this piece.

This week (and also the next post) I'm working on the second of the four Hansel and Gretel Storybook Panels that I started in my last post.  These adorable pieces are by Aimee Ray and can be found in her Doodle Stitching: Embroidery & Beyond book.  I also follow her on Instagram, and I love seeing what she has created!  Her creations are always so cute and fun!
Aimee's Book

The set of four storybook panels
This week I'm working on the witch's gingerbread house!  I love the details of the candy canes and lollipops lining the walk up to the front door!

Like I mentioned above, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through.  However, I've already noticed some improvement from my last panel in my split stitch technique!  It's still not my favorite stitch, but I've come a long way in my consistency with that type of stitch.  I think that's part of why it is taking me so much longer on this panel than the last - I'm being a lot more mindful of the technique of the split stitch than I was previously and it has slowed me down some.  On the other hand, I'm really pleased with how the stitches look! Good technique clearly goes a long way in making something like this!
I also wanted to take a moment to talk about the back of the piece.  In an article I was reading by another stitcher, she talked about how her grandmother always told her that the back of a piece of embroidery should be as beautiful as the front.  Now, of course it's not going to look the same, but it stuck with me that a sign of good embroidery is how neat the back of the piece looks.  This is especially important when you are working with thin material like I have been using.  It would take away from the picture if you could see a bunch of red lines behind the material.  All this to say, I have been really pleased with what the back of my stitching looks like this time!  Just another sign to myself that I'm actually improving!  

One thing I've been struggling with lately is that my floss will get tangled several times while I'm working.  You can see a big knot that I got frustrated with in the bottom right corner in the picture above.  If you've experienced this before and know a good way to prevent this or easily untangle the thread - please leave a comment below!  My trick lately has just been to *cut* my losses and just start a new thread (see what I did there? Oh, I love puns!).

Anyway, until next time - thanks for joining me on these Adventures in Embroidery!!


No comments:

Post a Comment